Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Weekend of Savings

The reason for the long delay between posts is because I went on a little weekend get away with the family. Even when I am vacationing I can't stop thinking about money (It's both a gift and a curse). Anyway, I couldn't wait to get back and tell you about my deal. I stayed at a 4 star Hilton Hotel in a major city for $40. Yes 40 bucks.The standard rate for the room was almost $200. So how did I do it? You've seen the commercials for "unpublished rates" every travel site has them and let me tell you they really can save you lots of money.

Whats the catch? The answer is simple. You find a deal and reserve the room, but you don't know where you are staying until the reservation is booked, and there is no cancellation.

WHAT!?!?!?!?

I know, I know, calm down. Here's what makes it great. You do get to specify the neighborhood, the star rating, the room type and the amenities the hotel offers. So ask yourself, with all of that information out in the open, what difference does the brand make? Plus, the gamble is kind of exciting.

And, its not just hotels...

Once I booked a rental car for a vacation in Florida with one of these deals. I got a full size car through Hertz for $11/ day.

The moral of the story is there are a lot of great deals out there, you just have to find them. So next time you are traveling and feeling a little crazy give it a try

No comments:

Post a Comment